12 March 2009

On the Subject of Gorgonzola

I love blue cheese. Love it. If you need proof, see one of my earliest gourmet creations, my husband's true favorite Blue Cheese Pasta Salad. For a while now, I have tried various takes on a warm blue cheese pasta to little success. Cream sauces with blue cheese strike me as bland and yet pungently overpowering. Tonight, John and I finally agreed on what is necessary to make a warm blue cheese pasta success. Theoretically.
Some of the appeal of blue cheese must be its chunky, clumpy consistency. Instead of sauteeing the cheese in a typical cream sauce, my next effort will be to only slightly melt the blue cheese into warm, cooked pasta.
Pictured here you see one of my failed (though pretty) blue cheese pasta efforts.
On the up side, I discovered a wonderful new texture of pasta called orecchiette, imported from Italy. The consistency was similiar to that of a dumpling, and yet, it was pasta. A wonderful texture to absorb sauce.

No comments: