07 March 2009

Ahead of the Game: 8 Months Old


My Jimmy,

You and I are both awake tonight with the same hacking cough. It's this awful cold virus that has settled into our family, passing from one child to the next and finally landing to me over the course of 2 weeks. We've barely left our new 2 bedroom apartment over the last 10 days.


Meanwhile, you have practically turned into a new baby since you returned to us from Wisconsin and we began our adventure near the "Washington monument". You are eating full bowls of Cheerios for breakfast. You are up on all four limbs rocking about, getting ready to crawl when we put you on the rug or when we find you awake in the closet. You are smiling with exuberance at strangers. You are sitting up all by yourself! You have emerged as a baby, not an infant. You are changing. You are growing.


Jimmy, as I raise you children, I wonder more and more about the power of nature vs. nurture in the world. Why are my kids inclined to smile outwardly at others when many babies and children are introverted and shy? God has given all of us gifts, but it seems like I can do a lot to pull out the best in my children. I have taught you all to love those around you in a little way, by encouraging you to smile for strangers each time you meet them.

This may seem like a little thing, but now that I have three kids who look others in the eye and speak up when they're introduced to someone, I realize how unique this quality is. Unfortunately, our culture has a tendency to teach children to be afraid of strangers. I want you kids to realize that caution is important in every interaction you have with others...but I also want you to realize that there is good in every person you meet. There is no need to look down from fear or shame when you meet someone. Instead, look him in the eye and know that that person has gifts and beauty and love from God just as you do.

Jimmy, I am more in love with you now than you can possibly know until you have a son or daughter of your own. I am so proud to carry you nestled onto my hip, and I am so joyful tonight to cradle you against my chest, even while we're both so sick and exhausted. This is one of those moments of deep and powerful beauty in motherhood; one of the moments of fleeting joy that I pray I not forget as the years go on. This is one of those moments in which I realize why God has called me to be a mother to many children, and why, despite the true sacrifice and exasperation and sickness and sleeplessness motherhood brings, it is worth it.

It is so worth it.

I love you, Jimmy Jimster.

Your, Mama

No comments: