06 March 2009

(Imagine Me Holding Up 2 Pointer Fingers)


Dear Lucy,

2 years old!! I am bit late on your 2nd letter, and I'm sorry for it. You have already begun to changed since just a few weeks ago.

Who are you, my Lucy Louise? You are a light in our life. You're a silly, giggly girl who watches Mom with rapt attention. The other day I was looking at my feet critically, and I looked over at you to see you quietly mirroring my every look and motion. How often do you copy your Mama? You practice dusting the tables, sweeping the floors, putting your baby in his stroller, and making pie. Tommy went through this copy-cat phase, too, but somehow it seems stronger with my daughter.


As I type this letter, you are sitting at the kitchen table in our new apartment. Tommy just entered the room, and your funny little voice recognized him, "Did you wake up, Tom? Did you wake up?" This, too, is a phrase you're borrowed from Mama. You're a mimicking parrot, but the truth about Goose is that you are shockingly verbal for a 2 year old. You have a knack for language that is unique, Lucy. You can already look strangers in the eye with a smile and a kind word.


It was several months ago when I looked in my rear-view mirror to watch you interacting with Tommy. I remember that moment so crystal clear: it was the first time you both shared a conversation together. Now, these conversations are ongoing and everyday occurrences. (Unfortunately for Mom the Peacemaker, there have been a lot more arguments than chit-chat lately.)

You have a real love for your family, and are going through a stage in which you'll constantly repeat the names of members of our family, as if for reassurance. "And Daddy? And Mommy? And Jimmy? And Tommy? And Lucy?" You pause between each name to see if I nod. We recently went swimming at the gym's indoor waterpark, and since that day, you have a new (re-found) love for the pool. "Go swimming with Daddy today?" You ask me constantly. "Go swimming with Daddy soon!" You confirm.

Try as I might not to compare you to Tommy, I can't help but notice ways in which you are unique or similar. You are both very smart. You are both very verbal. You are both innately outgoing at this age, which is uncommon amongst your friends.

On the flip side, you are artistic, while Tommy struggles to hold a crayon for more than 2 seconds. You are proud and eager to sit down and work on coloring Curious George, Ben 10, or even a blank sheet of paper. You also seem to be more intuitively drawn to music than Tommy. I often catch you shaking your body to a song in the rear view mirror, or singing songs to yourself as you be-bop around the house.

I hope I can remember your toddler phase, Lucy. It already seems to be slipping away! The only problem with having such chatterboxes for kids is that you guys seem to grow up more quickly than your peers. I bet next week you'll be asking me if I've proactively made plans for our summer vacation.

(And Lucy, the answer to that? Of course I have.)

You're a twinkle in my eye, Miss Goose. I love you.

Your,
Mama

No comments: