02 February 2009

The Wisdom of a (soon-to-be) Saint

This week is sure to be crazy, as we prepare to close on our townhome and settle into a period of unknown waiting for our other home bid.  I have a mental list and an ink list about a mile long.  Just wanted to share some wisdom that a friend passed onto me this morning.  The quote is from Mother Theresa:

"Riches, material or spiritual ones, sometimes smother us when we do not use them rightly... So remain as 'empty' as possible, so that God may fill you up. Even God cannot fill up something that is already full. He does not impose Himself upon us... I have to empty myself of all selfishness to let God fill me with His love."

This is something I must constantly attend to: to rid my mind and soul of selfishness.  It is so easy for me to think of which bathroom tiles I want, which vacations I want, which Baby Gap clothes I want.  It is so easy to think of giving later and getting now.  How do we all find the right balance in our lives?  How can I be selfless and yet feel secure that my family is safe and comfortable?

Windows Live™: E-mail. Chat. Share. Get more ways to connect. See how it works.

1 comment:

Jenny | The Balow Bunch said...

Really awesome quote. I have no idea how to answer those questions you pose. But it fits with something I've been noticing lately -- I'm much happier when I focus on the things that I've been blessed with versus thinking about the things I want. Also, when I think about the things I want...I try instead to focus on the things I need, and that makes me feel more content too. Focusing on my blessing and my needs is helping me maintain a positive outlook throughout the dead of winter.