13 February 2009

Sassy Mexicasserole

I am trying to use up most of our canned and pantry goods before we move, so things are getting creative around here. I actually came up with something pretty good tonight.

Sassy Mexicasserole

Ingredients
4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 C jasmine rice, uncooked
1 jar of green Mexican enchilada sauce (about 8-10 oz.)
1 can Cream of Chicken soup
1 C water
1 medium tomato, diced
1 small can mild green chiles

Mix rice, water, soup, chiles (I used only 1/2 can for a milder flavor), and enchilada sauce in the bottom of a 9 x 12 casserole dish. Place chicken breasts on top of this mixture. Sprinkle about 1 t salt over the dish and then sprinkle on the tomato. Bake about 1 hr at 375 or until chicken is done and rice looks done, as well. I flipped the chicken once during the process. I cooked the dish uncovered for the first 45 minutes, then covered it for the remaining time to preserve moisture.

Yum! The result is an easy dish that my husband claimed was near "restaurant quality!" It may be that we've been eating a lot of takeout food lately, but I'll take that kind of praise any day!

No comments: