12 February 2009

A Bouncing Baby Boy


Dear Jimmy,

My seven month old. I am a few days late on your letter...I am sorry, my son. This has been a hectic and exciting time for our little family. We sold our townhouse and are preparing to move temporarily into an apartment. I am sure that, to you kids, this move will measure low on the radar screen. You will probably think nothing of moving your rattles and baby spoons four blocks north of here. To your father and me, though, this move represents our journey to a home with a yard for our family. We are eager to see you kids run through the grass and spread your wings a little bit. We are eager for just a little more elbow room to grow.

You are a beautiful boy, my Jimmy. Everyone says so! It's hard not to notice your wide eyes and contagious smile. On the inside, you also have qualities that shine, Jimmy. Each time you awaken, you are quiet and content to be alone. This is different from your brother, Tom, and your sister, Lucy. Oftentimes, I hear you kicking around and laughing to yourself long before you want anyone to retrieve you from your bassinet. What does this mean, baby Jim? Are you going to be the kind of boy who needs a little more time by yourself?

I am teaching a 4th grade class at church this year, and am so happy to be doing it. Working with 10 year olds, oddly enough, gives me more inspiration to be a great mom for you kids. Sometimes the days are so long when I'm changing poopy diapers, teaching you kids numbers, singing songs, making lunch, scrubbing the floors, cleaning up toys. It's easy for me to forget how important this work is. When I go into the 4th grade classroom, though, I see such an amazing class of kids---all due to their parents' hard work raising them. Each child has his own talent and gift from God. I know that my job is to help cultivate your talents, Jimmy. I hope I can help you find them and use them in the best way.

Sometimes I wonder if either of my boys will grow up to be a priest, Jimmy. Maybe that seems like a strange thing for a modern mother to wonder, but certainly, I do. I hope that by the time you can read this letter, you already know and respect the work priests do. I hope that you also think about the joys and blessings God puts in their lives in return. God calls us each to a special vocation in life. What will yours be?

Your development from the sixth to seventh month has been pointed in many ways. You are rolling over quickly and with agility now. You sometimes get up on all four limbs. You want things in a way you didn't want them last month. You remember toys that fall down off your high chair. You jump like crazy in your Exersaucer...much like your cousin, Will, used to do. This, too, is different from our other kids. You are not the same baby as Tom or Lucy. You will have your own place to shine.

Well, dear Jimmy, it's very late and your mom should be in bed. I just wanted to take this time to tell you how very much I love you. I could kiss your sweet little toes all day. I could smell your soft head each moment. But Jimmy, if you keep on pooping 3 times daily, I am going to have to draw a line.

To the moon and back, my littlest bug.

Your,
Mama

No comments: