04 February 2009

Girl Power

So, of course I'm jealous that my sister is having another girl. Isn't it funny how jealously is so rampant among siblings? I'm not jealous in that bad, angry kind of way. I'm just jealous because sisterly relationships can be so beautiful and fulfilling throughout life. As can mother-daughter relationships.

I have a friend (who reads my blog, so, this one's for you, Kate) who has a sister very close to her in age. I can recall how, in their home, the bathroom counter was clustered with every divine beauty product a girl could imagine. What a great bathroom. To me, it seemed like every morning (or afternoon, or evening) had that fun let's-get-ready together vibe that I shared with my college roommates.

Some of that fun is lost when you get ready alone. You've no one to inspect and comment on your eyeliner technique, no one to critically comment on whether your Assets are holding things together enough under that silk dress.

Is there a girl up for adoption so I can do this without another pregnancy?

Seriously, though. My comment was a bit lighthearted, but John and I have kicked around this idea many times in the last year. We LOVE kids. I Hate pregnancy. And, there are so many kids waiting.

2 comments:

Sriracha said...

Thanks for the shout-out. At this point in life, I can safely say that having a sister close in age proximity is awesome. If you had asked me in high school, it would depend on which of us had just yelled at the other.

Anonymous said...

You should have told me that you needed someone to inspect your assets.