16 April 2008

On the Subject of Living Large

Phew. According to the technical quiz in today's local paper, we do not live in a McMansion. I guess our townhouse could be categorized better as the mini version. My favorite (or, more precisely, my least favorite) characteristic is the fake facade---brick or shakes on just the most-viewed portion of the home. Classic.

Actually, though, I didn't really define McMansion by these standards until I read the article. I used to think a McMansion was a newly-built home that dwarfed its neighbors.

There are definitely some characteristics of the McMansion that appeal to me: I'd love to have 4 upper level bedrooms in our next house. On the other hand, the sheer size of these homes makes them daunting to fill and daunting to clean. Do we really want to live somewhere that doesn't feel like a full home?

Now is the point where I begin kicking myself over not more seriously considering that older home John and I looked at about a month ago.

No comments: