13 March 2008

The Flood Zone

Yesterday, my sister send me a listing for a house in the small, old "downtown" near us. The house looked amazing! Built in the 1880s, it had 4 bedrooms and a wealth of space...plus, the great and enviable asset we don't have...a yard!

John and I have gone around and around about the advantages and disadvantages of new vs. old homes. Who can deny that an older home with beautiful built-ins and woodwork has more character? This particular house even has a large, historic carriage house as one of its charming features.

On the flip side, though, I can't ignore how accustomed I have become to modern home amenities. We don't even own a dresser because our closet is big enough for twice as many clothes as we have. I appreciate a bathroom vanity that we can actually use to hold our toiletries. Most importantly, I love our laundry room located just 6 to 10 feet from all the upstairs bedrooms.

It's hard to weigh all these things. If I had my choice, I'd look for a beautiful, renovated old house that has all the modern conveniences already added. Unfortunately, this is a tall order on our budget. Sigh.

Anyway, I'm excited to take a look at the house tonight. I just hope we aren't blinded by its charm.

No comments: