09 March 2008

Big House with No Little People

About once every sixth months, I get a day or an afternoon off from parenting and my house is quiet. If you are single or don't have kids yet, it's hard to appreciate the quiet. Perhaps, like I used to, you fill you home with noise from the television or radio. With two small kids, though, the quiet is simple blessing that I relish.

I'm not really sure what to do with myself today. I'm fighting the urge to get cleaning done, because I could do that anytime. I just finished reading Love in the Time of Cholera and Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim this week, so maybe it's time to visit the library and browse for something new. Tommy would probably appreciate it if I looked for his current favorites, Boom Chicka Rock and Trashy Town.

What do people DO when their day isn't exhausted just filling the needs of a 2 year old, a 1 year old, and a growing baby in utero? I don't even remember. Sometimes I want to scream because it seems no matter how hard I try, I can't keep Cheerios off our floor for more than a half hour.

And then, I have a moment like this: all I want is my Lucy Goose to snuggle, and my Tommy to pull off our couch cushions and build a fort.

No comments: