16 November 2005

Tales of Obesity and Anti-Family People

A few weeks ago at church, John, Tommy and I were surrounded by kids. There were at least 10 babies near Tommy's age in the pews around us, and a family with 5 kids sat directly in front of us. I have watched this family from the pews for some time, as the mom was pregnant with her 5th baby while I was pregnant with Tommy. They had a little boy.

On this particular Sunday, this beautiful ma was a bit harried. Her boy was starving, and she was attempting to discreetly breastfeed him in the pew. He was not latching on, and my heart just ached as I thought, Been there. Babies innately know when you are trying to be discreet, and they choose these moments to make breastfeeding as difficult as possible. To top matters off, the next-to-youngest child, a daughter, grew in jealously of ma's attention towards baby. A tantrum erupted. Swiftly, with deft experience, Dad scooped up daughter and left the pew. Ma followed to continue indiscreet breastfeeding elsewhere.

Following their departure, an obnoxious woman behind me stated, If I'd wanted to hear screaming kids, I could have stayed at work.

Empathizing with this mother, I let myself turn around and snap, The Catholic Church is Pro-Family. In response, she harumphed. I must've spoken louder than I intended because after Mass, a guy who was several pews behind us gave me a thumbs up and said thanks, on behalf of all the parents in here.

After this event, I couldn't shake the feeling that I had overstepped my bounds by speaking out. It felt good, though. Still on my mind: where does this evil woman work? I pray it's not a daycare.

A similar situation ensued when I took Vinny the Volvo in yesterday, except that the female offender slammed a door shut to silence a child. And she was morbidly obese. * This time, I kept my mouth shut but couldn't help but think similiar thoughts.



*Obesity is most likely unrelated to the Anti-Family epidemic. And yes, I realize that this observation is hurtful and juvenile. So sue me.

No comments: