02 November 2005

Recnac Spelled Backward

My fam life has been turned upside down recently, as my father was just diagnosed with Acute Myeloid Leukemia. Last night, I kept waking up and those words just wouldn't leave my mind. Acute Myeloid Leukemia. Acute Myeloid Leukemia. Acute Myeloid...you get the picture.

The stuff they say about cancer being a roller coaster---it's true. There is sadness and disbelief and despair and laughter and learning and hope. Please let him make it. Please let him be Tommy's grandpa.

My dad left me a voicemail on my birthday this year. Out of character, he reminisced about the year I was born and how I was a great mother and how he couldn't believe I was 24. It's not out of character for my dad to be loving, but sentimental (he'll admit) is not his middle name. I saved the voicemail.

I think I am going to listen to it right now.

Get better, Dad.

No comments: