18 November 2005

5 Month Sweetheart

Dear Tommy,

I am in love with you. It's the 18th of November and I'm 4 days late for your 5 month birthday, but forgive me. I'm still your mother.

At this moment, you're sleeping behind me on Grandma's basement bed. Your arms are stretched out wide, as they always are in your deep sleep. Your tummy is exposed because Daddy put pajamas on you that are too small. I see your chest cavity seep in and out with each breath you take.

This month, it seems you have grown and learned more than any month before. I flipped the calendar and suddenly, you ate solid food, rolled over, and gazed at everything around you with curiousity and wisdom. You look more like your Dad all the time, and it's beautiful, Tommy. You have his big eyes, and even his cute expressions. You wear a striped cap for warmth and fashion and, just this week, began donning an adorable corduroy zip-up suit as the temperature dropped and you witnessed your first snowfall.

Despite the thrills of this month, it's been a challenge. We've been living at Grandma and Grandpa's house because Grandpa is sick in the hospital with leukemia. For a while, I was so scared that Grandpa would never get to see you spin around in the Exersaucer or spew pureed sweet potatoes all over your highchair. Leukemia is horrible, and we were so blessed yesterday to learn that Grandpa beat it. The chemo worked.

Every morning, you've given Grandma this incredible gift of giggling innocence. It helped her find joy and distraction. So thank you.

You're starting to wrestle around behind me, Tommy, and I know that means naptime is almost over. Your eyes will soon pop open, your mouth soon discover those toes you so love to nibble. We have a bit of trouble getting you to take long naps or sleep through the night (I think more teeth are on the way), but somehow, your dimple and your soft skin erase any difficulty. I love being your mom.

I love you.

Mom

No comments: