26 November 2005

And Then Someone I Didn't Know Took Pulls Off The Bottle of Wine

at our 5 year high school reunion. Ah, Edina High School.

John dropped me off last night at Kieran's for the big event. I dreaded it. I guess I, like Dan and Kate, figured everyone was there to judge and gossip and assess how well their peers had made out. Truthfully, I engaged in a bit of that myself and I imagine others did, too. But.

On the whole, it was a great time. I am not sure how accurately I can judge that...I rarely get out and was pretty obnoxiously drunk. I was glad to see that some really talented people who were underrated in high school were doing exceedingly well for themselves. S. E.

I was also glad to see that one particular ass was still an ass. And I may have told him so. At the very least.

I also took the opportunity to show off pictures of Tommy to everyone I talked to---and everyone I didn't---from high school. I'm not sure how it is possible that I, as a 24 year old, am the only person in our class with a child. Maybe I'm the only person in our class with a legitimate child. Everyone from Edina is busily persuing doctorates and medical or legal degrees. At least I have some good contacts.

When they're 35-40 and trying to get pregnant, I may smirk a little knowing that it's all easier in the younger days. I also feel pretty smug to see every one of Tommy's "firsts." I do hope, for their sake, that they realize the value of being present to watch your family grow.

A nanny just isn't a replacement for Mom.

No comments: