12 January 2009

Six Months



Dear Jimmy,

I have been meaning to write you for so long now, and the time has just run away from me. Procrastination, I suppose. It's not always a bad thing, though: while the house isn't exactly "pristine" at this moment and I'm not current on all my projects, I look back on these last weeks quite happy to have spent so much time really enjoying my three little bugs.



Oh, Jimster. You are an age that is so wondrous right now. Every moment, your giggles and your innocence and your jump, jump, jumping in the Exersaucer seem to catch me as so beautiful and perfect. You lay on your tummy and are just enraptured by whatever is beside you. You think each different fabric is a masterpiece to be memorized. You're learning, baby, probably faster than you ever will again.


Daddy and I are in our usual competition to get you to say "Mama" or "Dada" first, and wow, Dad won by a longshot this time. It seems you're burbling, "DADADADA!" every time I walk into the room. How does he do it? You've also discovered your tongue lately, and seem quite proud to be able to stick it out whenever you want.

And the EATING, Jimmy! You only started eating rice cereal about a month ago, but now your appetite just can't be fulfilled. Last week, you ate about 4 meals of baby food per day. I couldn't spoon it in fast enough, so you cried out between each bite. Have I had such a starving baby before? Your long legs are stretching further, and your beautiful, lean tummy is starting to show the tiniest bit of that baby fat. Oh, Jimmy. You are a lady killer. One look in those big eyes of yours sends me to the moon.

I hope I can be a great Mom for you. I hope I can help you understand how much you are loved by God and by your family, James Eric. I want so much for you---so much learning, so much experience, so much joy. I want you to realize the satisfaction in working hard for something, and to stop, then, to enjoy the stillness around you.

And yet, my son, it is evident to me that none of those things can matter without God and without family. So know this, Jimmy: I am praying for you every day.

I love you always!

Mama

No comments: