23 January 2009

The Mayhem Unfolded

I meant to bring my camera to the MN Zoo today, but once we got there, I quickly realized that casual photography wasn't on the list of possibilities. Oh, yes: Sarah and I were there with our SIX CHILDREN UNDER SIX. And one in utero. (Thank goodness it's not in my utero; I appreciate her so much more in Sarah's womb!!)

Many times amidst the chaos, I stopped to laugh to myself. How many people could handle an adventure like this one? How many people could feed Jimmy a bottle while corralling Wally and the Goose past the monkey windows and down to the shark tank? How many people could open five Lunchables in five seconds and sprint to catch Lucy as she snuck off to the Tropics exhibit? How many people could slip in a little geography lesson for Will & Tom while strapping a screaming Goose into her stroller because the girl removed her shoes and socks for the sixth time today? I even had time to pamper Claudia with a little blush and lip gloss.

You can't make up this kind of chaos, people.

I am so thankful that the infancy stage (while beautiful) is over, and that Jimmy is a bit easier to handle these days. I'm feeling myself again, able to discover energy and laughter in places others might not find it. I'm remembering why I am a mother and why family is such an important part of my life.

Did I mention my sister is having a girl?! I can't wait to meet her.

1 comment:

Jenny | The Balow Bunch said...

I love the MN Zoo! Sounds like a great time. I'm excited for Lucy to have a girl cousin!!

I think you and your sis should either consider a consulting business for mothers with 6 under 6 or else writing a book with all of your adventures. I'm sure wine club would choose it for one of our monthly reads.