14 January 2009

On the Subject of Preschool

Right now I am reading a humorous account of the life of a New York stay-at-home mom entitled, "What Do You Do All Day?"  I remember when I only had Tommy, people would ask me that question all the time.  Now, I actually don't have much time to associate with people who don't have a fairly good concept of what I do all day.

(I don't have much against those people.  Not **much.**)

Anyway, one of the funny running themes in this book is the race for prestigious schooling for your child.  Shall he wear knickers and attend SuchAndSuch Fabulous School, which your ancestors attended?  Shall he wear stripes and attend ThisandThat Preppy School, assured to bring out his Ivy League Potential?  Or should he attend Tommy's school, where I know all the teachers personally and am so happy to have Tommy come home with dinosaurs-on-a-stick, so that we can later make puppet shadows of them on our hallway walls?

Haha, that did actually happen this week.  You can't make it up, people.

It's the season for sickness and preschool enrollment, so my MOMS Club members are sending around emails to gain insight into the prestigious options of our neighborhood.  Ahem.  I'd better watch my footing now so that my comments do not head in any.offensive.direction.

Why not let kids explore what they love at this age?  Why not use preschool for play, and jump off that curriculum with continued learning at home?  Why not let them be kids a little bit longer?


Windows Live™: Keep your life in sync. See how it works.

No comments: