06 June 2008

This Many [Holding up 3 Fingers]

Dear Tommy,
It seems your toddlerhood is slipping (or "swipping") away from us.When I look at the calendar for this month, I can hardly believe your 3rd birthday is just days away.We did have to dash your hopes of having one of those real, working cars, but your other request for birthday strawberries will definitely be fulfilled.

As before the birth of your sister, I find myself strangely sentimental this month, wanting to snuggle you and hold you and just savor the relationship we have right now, before it changes.I don't fear the change, but I do know that things will be somehow different.And aren't they perfect now, with two giggling bugs chasing around our house?You are eager to meet the baby pushing you from inside my tummy, though...you seem unworried.

You are turning into such a smart and considerate boy, Tommy.You bombard me constantly with questions, asking just this morning where bikes were made and and what "suddenly" means.You never seem to forget our answers; instead, you repeat them aloud for several days or months as if committing them to memory is the most important task at hand.(I think this is a compulsion you get from Daddy.) "Frightened means scared!" "Exert means to try harder!"

We've been working our way through the alphabet lately, mostly so I could focus on something other than pregnancy.Things are finally wrapping up, and this week, you're learning about the letter U.A picture of Tommy wearing "Underwear" hangs on my left...and rightfully so, as potty-training has consumed so much of our and your energy over these past months.It really did go more smoothly than I expected, but every so often, you hold onto your right to pee or poo where YOU so choose.I can only believe such determination will serve you well in other areas of your life.

One of your favorite things to do, now that the weather is nice, is take off on the Radio Flyer bike that Grandma Linda and Grandpa Eric gave you.We need to get a basket on that thing, because you're awfully fond of collecting rocks along your way, but you're perplexed when they fall off the back of the bike.You are fast as the wind, and can go at least a mile.Yesterday, you rang your little bell and waved at a gaggle of girls as you passed.

You are a wonderful brother most of the time.When Lucy wakes up in the morning, you rush to give her a kiss.You tell me when she wants to eat yogurt or get a drink. You find her special bunny when she's sad.With gentle reminding,you are eager to share with Lucy.You become more happy when she is happy.I hope this lesson is one that sticks with you in life...to complete another's joy brings our own.

I will never forget the feeling of responsibility and joy and relief we experienced the day we drove you home from United Hospital in our little Volvo three brief years ago.I cried in that moment as I realized you were everything life could offer. And you really are.
To be a mother is to know a completeness that often overwhelms, but equally inspires.
I love you, Tommy.Happy Birthday.
Mama

No comments: