12 June 2008

Envy & Animosity Humbled

I was getting ready at the gym this morning when a tiny woman scooted in next to me. Irked to see her cute little body, I mentally sighed and wondered when my pregnancy would be over. I became more annoyed with her when she asked to share the (small) mirror to get ready beside me. Do I really have to primp next to Ms. Perfect?

Of course, she inevitably had to ask whether I was having a boy or a girl, and when the baby was coming. I responded in my best do-I-have-to-make-small-talk-with-everyone-just-because-I'm- pregnant voice.

She seemed not to perceive my emote, and instead sighed herself.

"You're so lucky," she said. "I just finished a round of in vitro fertilization. Sorry if it seems like I've been staring at you."

"I hope it works," I managed, surprised that she would share something so personal with me.

"It didn't," she said. "It was so expensive, and we don't have the money to do it again..."

Silently, I nodded as she went on for few moments, telling me what was in the deepest part of her heart.

1 comment:

Jenny | The Balow Bunch said...

That's Humbled with a capital H.

You really are blessed with some great kids (and one soon to born great kid).