22 May 2008

Shrimp & Curry on Top

Frozen, cooked shrimp is a great on-hand freezer item. Shrimp goes well with pasta or rice, and is complemented by many vegetables, although it can easily stand alone.

Last night, I attempted to replicate a shrimp dish I'd made some time ago at Let's Dish (by the way, great value for your money) but I had to do it mostly from memory, since my camera-phone pictures of the recipes didn't turn out as well as I'd hoped.

Shrimp & Curry on Top

ingredients
3-4 T butter
1 T curry powder
3 T onion, chopped finely (I used red)
1 t minced garlic
1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
3/4 C sliced baby bella mushrooms
10 baby carrots, sliced
20 frozen, cooked shrimp
white or (better) jasmine rice, prepared per package instructions
directions
1. On medium-low heat, melt butter and saute in garlic, curry powder, onion and carrots. Take care not to burn garlic. Keep on low heat about 5 minutes.
2. Add chickpeas and shrimp to pan. Cover, stirring occasionally under shrimp is heated through--about 10 minutes on medium (it will shrink as it heats).
3. Add mushrooms and saute about 2-3 more minutes.
4. Serve in bowls atop the rice.

There are so many great things about this recipe---for one, I love the hearty addition of chickpeas, which I never use in the kitchen otherwise. What else do you make with chickpeas? Another great thing about this recipe is that almost any vegetable could be substituted---broccoli, green peas, snow peas, etc.

1 comment:

Sriracha said...

What else do you make with chickpeas?! Hummus! Phew. We have exhausted my kitchen knowledge.