08 May 2008

15 Short Months

Oh Lucy,

I stole this picture that Katy took. It was perfect timing, really: I'd just been thinking today how beautiful you were growing before my eyes. The time has flown and soon, you won't even be my littlest baby. But you'll always be my Lucy.

There is a spark in you, Miss Lucy, that everyone seems to see.You make friends wherever we go. People can't help but notice your giggling demeanor and the way you race, wobbling, from place to place. Just the other day, a quite random boy at the gym daycare proclaimed you were his best friend. I'd never seen him before! He was at least 5! Many of the older kids there have taken you on as their own. They gush when you walk in the door, and wave goodbye, reaching out to touch you as we leave. What is it about you, Lucy? What makes everyone notice?

It's no surprise to a mother that her baby is shining and full of light. Luz. Several months ago, you began singing that rock-a-bye song in your rocking chair, melting my heart.There seems to be music gushing from you. In the car, you hum along to the radio in that soft voice.You actually murmur---in rhythm---to the ABCs and the Wheels on the Bus. You are learning and using so many words---ball, moo, bah, bottle, drink, milk, cookie, jump, up, down,Uh Oh. You lay in your bed when you're tired, and you never fuss. You just seem to love sleep when it's time for sleeping, and to love life when it's time for waking.

We are so lucky to be your family, Lucy. You are a fighter, the kind of girl who chases down what she wants and sometimes trips violently...but then you get up, brush off the tears and blood, and keep going. How can a girl not yet 15 months do that? Do you need me? Or do I need you more?

The line is so blurred.I will always be loving you, my baby.

Mama

3 comments:

Sriracha said...

Dammit! Now I'm all teary eyed at work. You know how I hate to emote in public.

Jenny | The Balow Bunch said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jenny | The Balow Bunch said...

So touching! That made me teary eyed too!