16 February 2006

My Big Boy

Dear Thomas,

The other day, you woke up from a nap and were still sleepy as I held you in my arms. You rested your little head on my shoulder and your long skinny body stretch down past my torso. You feet wiggled below. I can not believe how much you're growing. Sometimes Daddy calls you "Tom" now. It makes me flinch for a second, but when I look at you, I realize you are becoming a big boy.







Our calendar is full of your "firsts" from the last month. It began at the end of January when you suddenly balanced yourself and sat up, and continued until you were scooting backwards and then finally creeping forwards in an army-crawl style toward objects you covet. You love your shrimp swimming lessons at the YMCA, and definitely take your new kicking skills with you into the bath at home. A few weeks ago, we went on an overnight to a hotel with your Grandma and Grandpa C and you showed off your talent.


I know you love me, mostly because your anxiety at my departure is so desperately evident all the time. I try to leave the room to fold the laundry, and your lip quivers as though I've announced my intent to travel around the globe. Most of the time, I try to sneak away so you don't notice...but you're onto me, Tommy. I know that if we make eye contact as I leave the room, I'm in for it.

You're getting pretty good at smushing Cheerios in between your front teeth, and slowly you've started eating other big kid foods, like cheese and yogurt and lunch meat. You are starting to notice when my plate has something different than yours...and you've also noticed that I seem to be drinking a lot of Diet Pop out of fun cans. I'm sure it will be no time before you're asking for a sip.

You've had your share of sickness this winter, between the RSV and frequent colds. This keeps you from the Y, where you love to mostly watch other kids. I think you like the distraction and chaos since things at home are a little more quiet. Daddy and I asked you if you want another kid in the family, and you seem pretty into it. So are we.

Now, if we could only find a home to house this family...

It won't be long.

I love you.

Mom

1 comment:

Sriracha said...

I'll have to see this kid in real life before you abandon for sub-suburbia.
Love (and thanks for the bday card).