21 August 2014

For my Sweetheart

Dear Jim,

I love six years old.  This summer, you are the sweetest of boys.  When I jokingly say I am being the meanest mom, you're right there behind me saying, "No."  When I ask for five hugs a day (that's a minimum!), you oblige with a series of super-sweet squeezes.  You ask for me to lay beside you in your bottom bunk cave at night.  You still want to be my little boy.

What a smart boy you are, Jimmy.  You love to achieve goals.  This month, we have a calendar on the wall for each child to track reading, math, and piano practice.  Hardly a breakfast can go by without you running to finish your song to mark off the work.   Your sister and brother lag way behind.  I don't know if it is the skills themselves so much as the organization you love.   A check-list is a friend to you and me both.

More than your math or reading smarts, though, Jimmy, what I notice most about you is your sweet, sweet nature.  You are so kind to others.  You see Frankie fall, and you run to him with such a tender hug.  You meet a friend at swimming, and you offer to share your allowance to buy him an ice cream treat.  

You have such a big and open heart.  What a gift, Jim.  What a gift you are to others in your life.

I am lucky to be your mom.  On the days your wild energy seems enough to propel a train, I must remember to pray for that energy to one day move a mountain for good.  I don't doubt you will do it.  I hope first grade is as magical as you are.

With so much love...Your,
Mama

No comments: