21 August 2014

Dive In

Dear Tom,

My almost fourth grader.   You are not the greatest swimmer.

This week, you have been in the pool every day at swim school.  You've made your way up the swimming levels for about six years now.  Back in the day, thirty minute lessons felt like mother/son torture.   The attention span just couldn't hold out that long----from any angle.

But somehow, in this moment, thirty minutes blinks by so quickly.  You are asking me when it's your turn to jump in.  You are pulling on flippers, and propelling through the water with four different strokes.   

You are getting passed by the other kids...

And you still keep going.

My son, I don't tell you that swimming isn't natural to you because I want to hurt you.  I tell it to you for quite the opposite reason.   I am proud of you, Tom.  You don't complain.  I have seen you do activities you love, and I know swimming is a challenge that you don't relish.  But you get in the pool and you smile.  You haven't even mentioned that others around you are stronger swimmers.  You push forward, and after several laps, I see your breath is labored and your challenge is great.  

You keep going.

I admire this persistence of yours, Tom.  In life, none of us can be a natural at everything.  And yet still, we need a fundamental knowledge of so many skills as we go through our days.   This week in the pool, you are practicing one of those skills in addition to a more daily skill of just doing what has to get done in life---without complaint.

This fall, you and your Jim and Lu will start a new adventure together at Catholic school.  I know we've told you this a billion times, but we couldn't be happier at this chance for our family to find faith in the classroom.  Not every child has this opportunity.  We hope that your teachers will help you learn more about God and about your unique gifts.  We hope you will find your niche and continue to grow that great brain.

It can be so hard to start in a new place, Tom, but honestly, I'm not really worried about you.  You have a soft spot for helping others and following rules, and you are an amazing kid.  There are big things ahead for you.

I love you so much. 

Your, 
Mom

No comments: