21 August 2014

For My Special Girl

Dear Lucy,

A little picture of you smiling in a striped navy and white tshirt stares at me from next to the computer screen.   You are just you in that picture---not frilly, not fussy.  Your hair is pulled back in a pony tail.  Your eyes are shining.

I love the you, Lucy.  I never could have imagined up a daughter who, before talking, could befriend a gang of older kids alongside her in the gym daycare.   I never could have dreamed up one who would tell older boys, flat out, if they are going to swear, then she won't hang out with them.  I never could have imagined a daughter who would try so hard to do everything right, and yet be her own sweet, individual self. 

Second grade is so close you can touch it, Luce.  You have worn that new plaid jumper all around the block.  You labeled your own supplies, and I'm certain that within the week, you will have collected the phone numbers for kids to come on over.  You plan out your own way.  

Sometimes it seems like everything you touch---swimming, reading, soccer, gymnastics---is easy for you, Lucy.  But that's not really how it is.  You make things look easy because you aren't afraid of hard work.  You think of a piano song you want to learn, and you pound away at it again and again.  You pick out a book and decide you will read it through----on the first day you can actually read.

You are a whipper-snapper and a true gem, Lucy.  May the sidewalks ahead glitter with excitement.  

I love you!!!

Your, 
Mom

No comments: