17 September 2012

This Beautiful Family We're Given

How does the time continue to fly and fly?  This time of year, the crisp fall air and the scent of school supplies fill my heart with joy.  Oh yes they do.

I've done this before, so I know that my full heart is probably just a post-partum endorphin high.  But still, I relish a moment at 4am to sit and reflect upon all the God has given our family.  This weekend was one I'd like to remember.

A walk with my cousin Mary around Lake Harriet.  A trip to Hunt & Gather, my new favorite vintage store.  An extended overnight date with my husband and Frankie, and my three older kids in the care of loving Wisconsin Grandma and Grandpa.  They came back bubbling with joy and tales of a morning campire and freshly baked cookies for breakfast.

In a big and busy family, a date at a French restaurant and an indie film with no interruptions are something John and I relish.  Even a quiet morning with our baby is quite rare. 

And yet.  Somehow this family of ours is full of life and joy.  Somehow these kids, who are rambunctious and joyful and trouble-making and life-changing, are really not a burden but a joy.  They fill our house and they fill our hearts. 

Every time I think I am at my wits' end and have hit my limit, I am given a moment of inspiration to realize how much gratitude I must have for these children of mine, and this family John and I are humbled to call our own.

No comments: