21 September 2012

For My Young Man

Dear Tommy,

I'm looking at a recently-framed pirate picture you drew for me, and thinking about the life you are carving out for yourself in second grade.  I was surprised the other day when your teacher emailed out a photo of you and your classmates holding up signs of your hoped-for professions.  You want to be an artist!  Your talent really is blossoming.

You are growing up, Tommy.  I look at you now, strong and athletic, smelling of boy sweat after a quick game of kickball in the neighborhood, and I realize you have talent and strength and wisdom these days.  You consciously go for the comedic punch line.  ("Mom....Frank's crying!!  You've got the do the 'bop-around'....whatever that is.")  You dance like crazy.  You are sensitive, wanting to please me and yet putting up a huge wall of defense when something difficult crops up between us.


Don't be afraid of me, Tommy.  I am on your side.  I know you are saving the many lunch-notes I've drawn for you in the secret compartment of your lunch box.  I know you love me and I love you back...every moment.

Even in the hard ones.




Love, Mom

No comments: