04 October 2005

Who are we?

Being a parent changes you, and it changes your spouse. Mostly, being a parent changes everything...and it CERTAINLY changes your relationship.

When I take a look back at the last three months, I can count on maybe four fingers the instances of couple time John and I have shared. Sigh. Sadly, we have wasted a few of those recent moments bickering about nothing as we were just exhaustipated from being parents.

I'll allow myself to indulge in nostalgia for a moment and tell you that prior to parenthood, we were that sappy couple you see experiencing romance at any given moment. Dancing together in the grocery store (freak dancing, not slow dancing, people), holding hands during car rides, and making googly eyes at Davanni's were not below us. We still do these things, of course, but we dance around the grocery store with Tommy (trying to prevent him from busting out with a siren cry from hunger), we grip each other's hands for support in the car (as Tommy's siren cry explodes through Vinny the Volvo---constantly), and we make googly eyes at Davanni's...at Tommy, because despite the siren cry, he is the most beautiful boy we have ever known.

I'm not entirely sure I can answer the query I've posed, but we are certainly different, John and I. Perhaps this weekend, with a Saturday night date and thanks to a free grandparent babysitting gig, we can rediscover our couplehood of past to keep our sanity in the present.

No comments: