16 April 2013

Wrinkly Chlorine Toes

Baby,
 
It was your first time swimming at the pool tonight.  This spring has been so long in arriving.  I piled you and the big kids into the minivan after school, and figured I'd take my chances supervising the rowdiest four kids in town.  I didn't expect you to be terrified!  I just walked into the water with you in my arms, and your arms wrapped around me for dear life.  Your face collapsed in tears, and your siblings and I didn't know what to do.
 
After about 15 minutes, we climbed out of the pool and watched from the sidelines while your teeth chattered and you warmed up in a few gym towels.
 
Later, we tried again.  This time, you started sitting on the sidelines of the zero-entry area, getting used to the idea of the pool.  (Apparently a professional mom should have figured this was the best approach.)  You were much happier.  You smiled cautiously, and wandered about with a dive-stick in your mouth. 
 
I can hear you peeping in the crib upstairs right now.  I guess it's time for real instead of virtual parenting. 
 
Thanks for today, my little Frank.  You are such a sweet, sweet part of our family.
 
Love, Mama

No comments: