08 November 2008

Cuatro



Dear Jimmy,

My sweetheart is four months old! I know you are growing because your strong legs have lengthened, and your skinny fingers seem almost as long as Lucy's. You are kicking and moving your arms all the time. You haven't rolled over since your first few rolls, but I bet you will be back to that in no time.

This month has been exciting for all of us, as you've become more animated and interested in the world around you. You laugh for Daddy, and you squeal when Lucy or Tommy run to your side. They love to sit by you when you're exercising underneath your new Scary Bear equipment. Of course, Mama is still your No. 1. I have that captivating affect on babies when I'm their sole nourishment. :)


While you've been practicing moving and making new sounds, the rest of the country has been preoccupied with the recent presidential election. Although Dad and I didn't vote for him, President-elect Barack Obama is surely making history in our nation as the first African American on his way to the oval office. We disagree with some of his policies, but we can not deny that this feat is an amazing step towards acknowledging the dignity shared by all human life. Hopefully that theme can continue on in many ways through his term.

The world has changed in many ways since your birth, Jimmy. People are worried right now for the future. The economy is in a slump unseen since the Great Depression. We don't really know how bad things could get, or when they will improve.

One thing that hasn't changed, though, is that the gift of life---in the form of a baby---can life spirits and bring joy. Wherever I take you, people sigh and smile to see your tiny form. Whenever you gurgle, you melt away a bit of discontent and offer us older souls a small, new beginning. I suppose this is reflected, too, in your Baptism.


It is late, my Jimmy. You are sleeping soundly upstairs, sucking your fingers and perfectly content in your bassinet. Daddy and Tom and Lucy sleep, too, and that I shall do in a moment.

But I love you, Jimmy. I want you to know that even when I'm exhausted and tired, my heart is beating for you. My little Jimster. It seems to go faster all the time.

Yours,
Mama

1 comment:

Jenny | The Balow Bunch said...

Thanks for sharing your love for Jimmy with all of us. Love is a beautiful thing!