18 December 2015

Thank You, Family

Dear Family,

Thank you so much for the Christmas gift this week.  It wasn't wrapped under the tree, but when I received it, my heart warmed and I realized how blessed I am.

Tommy, you gave me the gift of a song sung quietly along to the car radio.   I turned down the volume to hear your wonderful voice, and you kept singing, trusting me with the special closeness of our daily life.  Not thinking I would judge you or laugh.   You were comfortable alongside me.  You were comfortable with yourself.

Lucy, you gave me the gift of laughter!   I look over at you sometimes, giggling with your cousins, and I see the wild eyes of joy that are so easily a part of who you are.   Your giggly joy is infectious and makes others around you happy.

Frank, you gave me the gift this week of a seeming-endless chattering before naptime with me in our bed.   You sang to yourself, pointed out features on your hands and my face, and finally told me about how Jesus puts a band-aid on our hearts.   How did you know I needed a band-aid on my heart in that moment, as I absorbed some difficult news about life?  Surely Jesus sent you as a gift to me.

Jimmy, you, too, gave me a gift this week.   A gift of time.   In your long illness this week before Christmas, you amazed me with a positive attitude.  You didn't complain.   You asked for homework; you studied for first reconciliation.   You waited patiently for doctors.   You listened.  You ran to me, still, to share funny anecdotes and joy.   It is a gift to see someone in pain still smile and love life.

And husband, you give me so many gifts it is hard to count.  But this week, I noticed especially the gift you have of caring for all of us first, in a selfless way that doesn't ask for thanks.  You are so humble and amazing.

I love you, my family!   I am so happy that we get to be together at Christmas.

Love, 
Mom

No comments: